The mission of Highlands is
to provide gracious hospitality & quality Christian programs
in a majestic mountain setting
& to nurture spiritual renewal & transformation
in a safe & inclusive environment.
A Brief History of Highlands
In the early 1900s, Miss Augusta Mengedoht managed a cluster of summer rental cottages close to the mountain community of Allenspark. She probably never dreamed that many of her cabins would still be in use 100 years later!
After World War II, convinced of the positive benefits of camping and outdoor recreation for children and youth, Presbyterians in northern Colorado began searching for a permanent camping facility. The Rev. Andrew Hollars, and his daughter Ola, found just the right place. The presbytery purchased Miss Mengedoht’s 49 acre mountain retreat and ten cabins in 1945, and Highlands Camp was born.
Little by little, Highlands has grown. As neighboring properties have become available, the church has sought to purchase them, both in order to preserve the beauty of our site, but also to expand the options available for our programs and our friends. Many of the facilities that Highlands now uses—whether it is one of the lodges or our large meadow—have been added slowly to our site through the years. In 2002 we added our new Retreat Center. This beautiful facility includes 24 sleeping rooms, an administrative suite, reception lobby, conference room, and kitchen and dining facilities.
Today, Highlands Presbyterian Camp and Retreat Center encompasses 285 acres, has 42 buildings, horse facilities, a low-elements challenge course, and access to the wilderness areas of the Roosevelt National Forest and Rocky Mountain National Park.
Highlands is extensively used by Presbyterians of all ages from the front range, high plains, and Nebraska panhandle. It serves as a valuable extension of our region’s local Christian Education, evangelism, and ministry programs. Highlands is used by various nonprofit organizations, churches of many denominations, public schools and family groups.